Saturday, April 14, 2012

Do to Others as You would have Them do unto You

Matthew 25:34-39
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?



 Twice a month  I try to go and minister at the local rescue mission where I live.  Its very interesting the people you come across.  Majority are homeless, others just need a place to relax while their mind and emotions settle down. I however get intrigued by the stories they share. Some stories are very inspiring, while some are sad and terrible. There is a phrase I have came across  that states  "walk in my shoes first before you judge me".

 I know Most people view those at the missions as rejects, lost cause, failures or just another statistic.
However these people have a heart beat just like everyone else, and if you prick them they bleed!! They have emotions, feeling hurt and suffering cause they have lost much of what they have had.

 I wanted to share a story of the man that I met last night. His name is Daniel. This man had suffered great loss in his life, both parents and his wife passed away, he also had lost one of his legs(though I do not know the cause). The man though having endured so much in his life, which usually leads to bitterness was very passionate and kind.

I only spent a hour with this man and his devotion to God captivated my attention.  Here is a man struggling in everyday life, still trying to get past yesterday, reliving his pain, yet still pursuing after God.  As we discussed the bible, he told me he had trouble reading, but he was a great listener, and indeed he is because he displayed his knowledge of the bible quite well.  When we talked about Jesus and the sacrifice that was made on the cross for him, he started to tear up.  He said i couldn't have done that, but he was so grateful that Jesus did it for him.


Though I was a encouragement to him, he at the same time was a encouragement to me.  He said i would love for many to hear my story but they wont listen, they don't care.  Well brother I do! and I'm glad I got to meet you in this life, and hope to see you in the Next.

I know life doesn't always deal us a fair deck of cards, but its how we utilize what is given to us to continue to press forward.  These people do need help! Some just need some one to be a shoulder to cry on, one just wants someone to just be a ear and listen, and some just want to feel accepted and loved.

He, just like many others in missions everywhere and  people going through similar situations feel broken and worthless. Sometimes God puts these people in our paths to remind them that they still have Value.

Matthew 25:40
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
comments are welcomed

2 comments:

  1. Some good people underneath the homeless clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our daily life, we sometimes forget about those who lost everything.

    ReplyDelete